My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.foxnewsradio.com/category/blogs/spencer-hughes-blogs/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Gun Toting Tots? They Start Them Younger All The Time!

My parents never had a problem with me playing with toy guns as a child. This was back in the Dark Ages before toy guns were loud hues of pink and yellow and green. Toy guns didn’t have orange tips back then and someone kids knew better than to point them at the police or at each other on the streets.

From a detective’s pistol to Han Solo’s laser blaster from STAR WARS, I had a toy gun arsenal in my room. The only ammo I was ever allowed to pack was of the cap gun variety. I don’t even know if kids still play with those today. When was the last time you walked into a toy store and saw cap guns? Or saw kids playing cops and robbers with them?

Even though I started young with toy guns, I didn’t own a real gun until I was in my 20s. I still own it and keep it responsibly away from my children.

My 10-year-old has fired a pellet gun and owns one as well. But would you give a gun…any gun… to a 10-MONTH-old?? How about a REAL gun??

A columnist for a local paper in Illinois registered his son for a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card. He HAD to, it’s the law. He HAD to because the 10-month-old (nicknamed “Bubba”) was given a gun by his grandfather shortly after he was born.

Can you imagine this? I am a gun owner, believer in the 2nd Amendment, and the whole nine yards…but isn’t this…um…RIDICULOUS?? How about giving it to dad and letting him dive it to Junior when he is old enough? Why would you give a firearm to a child that young?

The ID has a picture of Bubba and is complete with a scribble for a signature. The card allows the baby to own the gun and ammunition. It also allows him to transport the gun, unloaded.

But just think of the benefits to this insanity! No other baby would dare take his bottle or make smelly diaper jokes! “Shhhhhh! Make way, everyone! It’s Billy The Kiddo!”

Maybe for his 1st birthday, grandpa could try buying him a truly age appropriate toy. Like maybe a machine gun? A tank? Or even his own missile launch pad. Now that’s something no toddler should be without.